By nature, adults have the desire to learn fast therefore most of our adults opt for one-to-one lessons, this allows us to really focus on your specific needs.
Our individualised approach to teaching adults
At Glovers Swim School we offer bespoke lessons for adults of all ages and abilities. Whether you are a nervous beginner looking to become comfortable and safe in the water or already a competent swimmer with the aim of improving your stroke technique, we will help you to achieve you goals.
Adult Learn to Swim
There are is still a huge number of adults in the UK who cannot swim, according to the Amateur Swimming Association this statistic is as high as 1 in 5. It may be that you have developed a fear of water from a bad experience as a child or perhaps you have never been given the opportunity to learn to swim. At Glovers Swim School we can help you to overcome your fears and help you to learn to enjoy the water. Our proven method of teaching adults to swim is broken down into a step by step process, this enables you to focus on one task at once rather than worrying about the learning to swim straight away which can seem quite daunting.
Here’s how the 10 step process works:
- You will have a brief discussion with your tutor about your goals and if you have any pre-existing fears or worries
- Next we move onto getting the water and getting used to the surroundings such as the depth of the pool.
- We will teach you how to be comfortable putting your face in the water and controlling your breathing, this will help you to feel relaxed before we move onto the next step.
- Once you are comfortable controlling your breathing we work on floating. We will show you how to hold your body in the water and release your head and neck to enable you to float on your own on both your front and back.
- The next progression is to being able to glide through the water with a push off the wall and to then regain your feet in a controlled and safe manner on the front and back.
- We then look at introducing the leg kick, this will be the start of using propulsive movements to propel you through the water.
- After kicking we move onto the arm pull, showing you how to position your arms correctly in the water and to feel the water to help you move forwards efficiently.
- The next step involves coordinating your arm and leg movements, here’s where you will really start to get the sensation of moving through the water with ease.
- Next we move on to introducing breathing and incorporating it into your full stroke. This may feel a little tricky at first but with regular practice you will be well on your way to becoming a strong and confident swimmer.
- The final step of the process is to give you tips on how to refine your stroke technique to improve your efficiency and work on building your swim fitness and endurance.
"Thank you so much for your genuine love and kindness when teaching those children who need that bit more help whilst learning to swim"Mum of Sophie, aged 6
"Tom is a fantastic teacher, patient, firm and kind. Imogen loves her swimming lessons"Mum of Sophie, aged 5
"Jake has become so confident in the water since starting his swimming lessons, he loves achieving awards and is always excited to come to lessons"Parents of Jake, aged 6
"The standard of teaching is very high, the girls have achieved so highly since beginning lessons with you"Parents of Alexandra, 6 and Georgina, aged 9
"My children love the friendly welcoming atmosphere shannon recently won swimmer of the month trophy – a great incentive"Mum of Shannon, 7 and Kiera, aged 4
"I strongly appreciate your kindness and patience, Eleanor was so frightened and had no confidence at first, wonderful to see her swimming in deep water with a big smile on her face – Thank you Diane and Tom"Mum of Eleanor, aged 7
"Diane is wonderful and encouraging with a genuine passion and love of children, a fantastic teacher who always made Billy feel very special and boosted his confidence"Mum of Billy, aged 6
"My child is looked after, encouraged and is taught to swim with beautiful strokes, at a pace that suits her needs all the teachers have a lovely manner and are fascinating to watch, passing on their excellent skills – well done i tell all my friends about you"Mum of Nikita, aged 8
"Excellent Lessons my children are taught to the highest standards. The teachers' approach to the children is wonderful to watch. The classes are fun and well structured"Mum of Ben, 4, Sam, 5 and Tasha, aged 9